Thursday, January 27, 2011

Here Goes Nuthin', Nuthin'-Special

Well, I must admit that after a dreadful hiatus, it's great to be back in the blogosphere doing what I do best, blogging about literature's greatests.  Over the past couple of weeks (and while I was away on retreat last week) we have been studying Othello, a 1603 drama by our very own Bill Shakespeare.  I, along with my classmates, have been giving the insurmountable task of analyzing the work (original, believe me, I know) by answering general questions on dramas.  For this first blog (at which point I have read only up until Act IV), I will answer #3.

The protagonist of the work is the eponymous Othello, a Moorish captain given the duty of protecting the nation of Venice from attacking and leading her armies.  The antagonist of the work is Iago, Othello's trusted ensign.  Two foils that stick out to me in the story thus far are Cassio and Emilia (not to each other, mind you).  Cassio, a young, flirtatious, and impulsive lieutenant, is the perfect contrast to a veterened, self-controlled, and devoted Othello.  Emilia foils Desdemona for her lack of ability to stand up to her husband, Iago, while Desdemona defends herself, and women, against the chauvinist.  Two minor characters who serve dramatic functions by moving forward the plot are the Duke and Bianca.  The Duke's primary purpose is to give Othello a need to explain the story of his courtship with Desdemona, and Bianca is used by Iago to trick Othello into believing a pompous Cassio slept with his wife.  Both shed light on the major characters, in this case Othello, by leading him to express himself either through words or emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment