Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hate to Say I Told You So, But...

"I entered the room where the corpse lay, and was led up to the coffin. How can I describe my sensations on beholding it? I feel yet parched with horror, nor can I reflect on that terrible moment without shuddering and agony. The examination, the presence of the magistrate and witnesses, passed like a dream from my memory, when I saw the lifeless form of Henry Clerval stretched before me." -- Page 129

I'm glad Henry Clerval died.  I really am, and I saw it coming for two reasons.  But before those two reasons, further proof that Victor is mentally insane, an apostrophe.

"Clerval! beloved friend! Even now it delights me to record your words, and to dwell on the praise of which you are so eminently deserving." -- Page 113

Cut back on the laudanum, Victor.  Addressing a dead companion may seem gothically romantic, but it's just weird.  Anyways, the two ways I saw this coming:

  1. While googling/sparknoting Frankenstein, it was spoiled to me on an analytical website, and
  2. Franky told us it was gonna happen!
I mean seriously, Victor.  How dumb do you have to be?  I could give you an entire page's worth of quotes where Franky warns Victor what will happen for destroying his unfinished work, but instead I'll quote one; "Your hours will pass in dread and misery, and soon the bolt will fall which must ravish from you your happiness forever."  There it is in plain English (well, French, I suppose).  And yet Victor, the ever-arrogant mongrel that he is, continues to shout things that would upset even the gentlest creature, like "Devil, cease" and "Begone!" and so on herein and herein contained, etcetera etcetera!  Then he wonders how such terrible and horrible things 'befall' him throughout his entire whole entire whole life when really it should come as no shock to see Clerval turn up dead.  I was glad Henry died because I wanted to prove to Victor that he can't be such a pubescent adolescent about everything, changing his mind and ideas at the whim of the weather, but it backfired.  What happened was Victor's complaining filled the pages for the next two chapters.  Boo!

No comments:

Post a Comment