Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Noooooo! Not Mr. Charrington!

"'We are the dead,' he said.
'We are the dead,' echoed Julia dutifully.
'You are the dead,' said an iron voice behind them."
-- Page 197




First of all, when I read that part I seriously got goosebumps.  Didn't know books could do that to you.  Second, for a book that centers itself around conflict and plot development that is internal, the scene where Winston and Julia are arrested by the Thought Police (and, alas, a biker gang leader-looking Mr. Charrington) is a breath of fresh external conflict air.  In all seriousness, Book Two, Chapter X of 1984 was probably my favorite, because...it contained so many literary terms, of course!  Besides internal and external conflict, there was also a spooky line of foreshadowing on page 194, "She picked the stove up and shook it. 'There's no oil in it.' / 'We can get some from old Charrington, I expect.' / 'The funny thing is I made sure it was full. I'm going to put my clothes on,' she added. 'It seems to have got colder.'"  Creepy, no?  Unfortunately for me, my sister, whose copy of 1984 I'm borrowing to save a quick buck, had highlighted this exerpt in my book, with an arrow and the word FORESHADOWING written in all caps outside the margin.  Thanks for ruining good literature, Kaylee.  I was really disappointed when Mr. Charrington ended up being a leader in the thinkpol because I really liked his character.  Even though it's only Mr. Charrington and O'Brien, because there are so few characters in 1984, it really seems like everyone around Winston ends up not being who he thinks they are.  Even Julia betrays him in the end, but to be fair he betrays her too.  How romantic!

No comments:

Post a Comment