Thursday, April 14, 2011

Veektore Frawnkenshteyen

"I am by birth a Genevese, and my family is one of the most distinguished of that republic..." -- Page 14

And thus begins the tale of Victor Frankenstein, as he tells his story within Walton's own story, a story within a story, a frame story!  The significance of this frame story is the parallelism between the two men.  Both have a deep (albeit questionable) longing for their sisters, and write to them.  Both are hard-driven in their motives and ideals; they both aspire to do something monumental that will benefit mankind, and be the first to do it.  Both men also studied the works of those who preceded them in their prospective fields.  Lastly, both men struggle with doubts and feelings of loneliness.  Basically, they're like the same person.  That's not very original, Mary.  Victor describes his childhood life as pretty perfect, which sucks for him because at current in the novel he hates himself, what he has done, and what he has created.  It's really rather sad, and in a pathetic sort of way I pity Victor.  All he wanted was knowledge, and the knowledge that he sought so desperately has started to destroy him.  What I don't understand is why he's so repulsed by the creature; it hadn't done anything terrific and yet from the start he despised it.  No wonder the thing ran away and went on a killing spree.  All the creature wanted was the approval of his creator, and Victor denied him this.  So I guess I don't really feel sorry for him at all; he brought it upon himself.

1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I've
    shared your website in my social networks!

    Review my web site ... michigan cash advance

    ReplyDelete