Thursday, April 14, 2011

It's Alive!

"It was on a dreary night of November, that I beheld the accomplishment of my toils." -- Page 34



I'm really disappointed by the fact that this classic line isn't in the book.  It makes me upset and I've lost 85% of my respect for Mary Shelley for not thinking of putting it in her novel.  I knew that Frankenstein's monster wasn't called 'Frankenstein', but it's interesting to know that he wasn't ever green, either.  The description of the "daemon" follows:

"I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open; it breathed hard, and a convulsive motion agitated its limbs...His limbs were in proportion, and I had selected his features as beautiful. Beautiful! —Great God! His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath, his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun-white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion and straight black lips."

Gross!  Based on this account, I'm thinking Frankenstein looked less like this...


...and more like this:


It doesn't really bother me either way.  I'm still hung up on the "It's alive!" thing...

1 comment:

  1. While I appreciate any blog post that includes Jim Carrey, how does the lack of this often-quoted, but nonexistent quote, affect the work and it's emerging themes?

    ReplyDelete